WHERE TO SLEEP IN ULAANBAATAR
Ulaanbaatar has become in a few years a terribly congested and polluted city. It is faster to walk than to drive and public transport is limited. It is for this reason that we found these apartments located just next to Cheketours and on the way to the airport. Breakfast is included in the price as well as the airport pickup which makes the value for money particularly interesting. Restaurants as well as supermarkets where you can buy groceries for your trip are nearby.
Mongolia looks like a huge campsite. You can camp everywhere but there are still some basic rules to follow.
- Do not camp near a town or village - Drunks and thieves may come to bother you at night.
- Do not camp in isolated places. Always try to camp at a respectful distance from a family of nomads. You will benefit from the protection of their dog. Check before planting your tent that the men in the family are not drunk. Select a family with women and kids if you have the choice.
- Do not wash in the river in the presence of Mongolians.
- Bring some small presents and candies to give to the nomads.
- Avoid at all cost camping in a 100kms radius of UB.
STAY IN GER OWNED BY NOMAD FAMILIES
In many places, nomadic families have set up gers that they rent to passing travelers. It is certainly one of the best solution for spending the night in a relative comfort while having a privileged contact with the nomads. No showers, the toilets - a rudimentary hole - are outside. Possibility also to take meals. Do not expect an elaborate menu. Only Mongolian dishes that will fill your stomach after a day's driving.
Expect to pay between 8 and 10 usd for a bed and 3 to 5 usd for a meal
We like this option because the money paid goes directly into the local economy
GUESTHOUSES AND LOCAL HOTELS
In all the big villages, it is now possible to find hotels or guesthouses. The villages where you can find these establishments are indicated on the google map selfguided routes. The comfort can be basic but you can take a shower and meet other travelers. After a few nights of camping, they are generally welcome.
Expect to pay between 15 and 30 usd for a room.